Customers shopping at a grocery store or retail store may experience a slip-and-fall accident due to the negligence of store owners and employees. The injuries suffered in a retail slip-and-fall accident can be severe, ranging from bone fractures to traumatic brain injuries. Slip-and-fall accident victims may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Gathering evidence after a slip-and-fall
If you are the victim of a slip-and-fall accident, you should first make sure to seek medical attention for your injuries. Once that is done, you may benefit from speaking to a personal injury attorney about the circumstances surrounding your accident to determine whether to file a premises liability lawsuit against the store owner and other negligent parties. Your attorney will likely collect and review all evidence relating to your accident including:
- Photos and videos of the accident and/or scene of the accident (e.g. security camera footage)
- Statements from witnesses (e.g. employees, other customers) who witnessed the accident
- Statements from employees regarding the condition of the property and/or the hazard that caused the accident
- Medical evidence (e.g. hospital records, doctor testimony)
Establishing the store owner’s liability
If you decide to move forward with your lawsuit, your attorney will then use this evidence to build a case to show that the store owners are liable for your injuries. To do this, your attorney must show:
- There was a hazardous/dangerous condition on the property.
- The hazardous/dangerous condition caused your accident and injuries.
- The property owner knew or should have known of the hazardous/dangerous condition.
- The property owner failed to take reasonable steps to remedy the hazardous/dangerous condition and keep customers safe.
Proving that another party’s negligence caused you injury isn’t easy, but an experienced attorney in the New Jersey area can help guide you through the legal process and help you recover the damages you deserve.